GitHub Updater and Gitea

Gitea is the new kid on the block for creating a self-hosted git server. Gitea is written in Go and is highly performant with very low overhead. In fact, Gitea is so efficient you can run it on a Raspberry Pi. There’s another post coming about that. 😉 As with most integrations of new git … Read more

Local by Flywheel (Pressmatic) and Symlinks

Local by Flywheel logo

I’ve changed development environments a couple of times. I started out using DesktopServer, a wonderful app. Gradually I grew disappointed with their update schedule and v4.0 ever on the horizon. One of the things I didn’t like was my inability to choose the PHP version I was developing in. I know there must be a … Read more

Dreamhost, WordPress and WebDAV

So next on my list was figuring out how to create a nested group of password protected directories with different users accessing various sub-directories. It’s much simpler than it sounds. The only caveat was that the main domain is running WordPress. As such I had to tweak the .htaccess file. Fortunately the instructions were simple. … Read more

Transferring WordPress

So the benefit of having many domains to play with is that I get to test things out before I put them on a live site. I was able to successfully transfer a multisite WordPress installation to @Dreamhost. Here’s what I did. Use 1-click installer to create base site @Dreamhost. Make site a multisite installation. … Read more

Not Running a Server

I’ve been running my own server for over 5 years now. It has been a great and sometimes frustrating experience. I think I’ve finally decided to let the pros do the server administration and just focus on the other stuff. The other stuff being coding, writing, and playing with technology. I’m looking into @Dreamhost. They … Read more