Dr Fragen in the operating room

Forwarding Email in Leopard Server, part 2


I’ve previously written about problems with [Leopard server and forwarding of virtual hosted domain email][1]. My solution was somewhat inelegant and errors were written into the mail.log. Since that time I’ve found a solution that works and generates no errors. It also has the added benefit of being entirely within Server Admin.
Here’s what to do.
In Server Admin > Mail > Settings > Advanced > Hosting the following items are needed.
1. Obviously, in the lower panel _Virtual Domain Hosting_ needs to be checked and the domains entered.
2. In the upper panel I have the following entries.
* localhost
* server.mydomain.private (this is the entry under Server Admin > Mail > Settings > General > Domain Name.
_virtual1.com_ and the others are the hosted virtual domains for which users have email accounts. That’s it. When I check my mail logs, mail is forwarded, I get errors regarding accounts not being set up, but mail is forwared.
Well, it seems I still see the bounces, but mail **is** forwarded. I’ve removed the virtual domains from the upper panel. It was a bad idea to start with. I don’t know if Snow Leopard server fixes this. Let me know.
[1]: https://thefragens.com/2008/02/forwarding-email-in-leopard-server/


6 responses to “Forwarding Email in Leopard Server, part 2”

  1. thomas.b.hill@me.com Avatar

    good work there. however, i’m doing exactly the same thing, and i get these NDRs

    Final-Recipient: rfc822; user@me.com
    Original-Recipient: rfc822;user@mydomain.com
    Action: failed
    Status: 5.4.6
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; alias database loop for user

    ideas? i have reloaded postfix. and implemented a signed ssl cert. But this occurs at random even before any changes. Let me know

    1. Andy Avatar

      Thomas, I just checked again and I still just get a warning in my SMTP.log, but the mail does get forwarded.

      Feb 19 08:53:22 server postfix/trivial-rewrite[75819]: warning: do not list domain virtual1.com in BOTH mydestination and virtual_mailbox_domains

      Can you show me a screenshot of your Advanced > Hosting window? You are using Server Admin, right?

  2. paul Avatar


    I’ve tried your method in 10.5.8 and I still get the error posts (NDR) and the message is properly delivered, too. Most frustrating. Are you still working successfully? If so, can you review your settings for us again pllease?

  3. Andy Avatar

    I don’t seem to understand the errors. I don’t really want to not use Server Admin and I guess we’ll just have to accept the invalid error messages.

    Currently I get a bounced message with the error

    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 5.1.1 User unknown

    But message does get forwarded.

  4. paul Avatar

    Well, there is another solution I have yet to test:


    I would like to try this — timing is off for this weekend so I can’t clone my production server, test this and see what it does. I’ve also posted feedback to apple asking if they would fix this (Server Admin:Feedback) and I’ve posted on the apple discussions list to see if the flaw remains in 10.6:


    Trying the method above, and a lot of permutations of it, didn’t yield success. Like you, I prefer to keep to the SA/WGM way of doing things — and of nudging Apple to fix or enhance their GUI to work with the underlying technology. Clearly some of their settings do not do precisely what Postfix is expecting — so it is up to Apple to conform to Postfix. There is SO MUCH they could do for this product. Talking with Pash and other Apple engineers, I get the sense that Apple only sees the product as an Enterprise tool, and not for broader use. Pity, that.

  5. paul Avatar

    Oh, and I thought I had mine fixed last night. Went back to the WGM — converted the account from forwarding to a standard POP box, saved it (creates the database entry so that the mailbox is now visible in the SA:Mail:Maintenance screen). Then went back and converted the account back to a forwarder (Maintenance still shows the box) — but the 550 error bounce remains — along with the successful delivery of the message to the forward target.